Playing with FOCUS
Playing Through the Pain Pt 1
2.27.11 Integrity Bud Wrenn
Disciples have great Confusion brought on by
1) the strong opposition Jesus is drawing, and ….
2) Jesus’ own statement that they would betray and desert Jesus.
A major reason Christ-followers are such underachievers is that we don’t trust…. Others and how they may see us.
Vulnerability-Based Trust: Ability to admit weaknesses & mistakes, to apologize and to make amends.
John 12:37 (NLT) But despite all the miraculous signs Jesus had done, most of the people still did not believe in him.
John 12:42-43 (NLT) 42 Many people did believe in him, however, including some of the Jewish leaders. But they wouldn’t admit it for fear that the Pharisees would expel them from the synagogue. 43 For they loved human praise more than the praise of God.
Questions to get at our uncertainty, hurts and fears of other’s perceptions:
- Is there a person for whom my first thought about them is what they did to me?
- Is there a ‘common’ excuse I use to keep from doing multiple things that I could do?
- Is there a certain person, or group of people, that come to my mind when I am trying to decide whether or note to do something?
Gaining and maintaining FOCUS:
1) Start with the end in mind.
John 14:1-2 (NLT) 1 “Don’t let your hearts be
troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than
enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you
that I am going to prepare a place for you?
2) Trust that it's not all 'on me' but is 'on God'.
John 14:3 (NLT) 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.
3) Remember the 'little things' I've learned along the way.
John 14:4-5 (NLT) 4 And you know the way to
where I am going.” 5 “No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We
have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
4) Adopt a 'Please Jesus Only' mindset.
John 14:6 (NLT) 6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.
5) Work to continuously widen your peripheral vision.
John 14:8-9 (NLT) 8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you?
John 14:11 (NLT) 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.
6) Work hard to produce positive results.
John 14:12-14 (NLT) 12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!